YouTube Music debuts in India
Makes the world of music easier to explore; gives listeners access to exclusive music videos and a personalized feed catering to their preferences
Chennai, 13th March 2019: The wait is over! Whether you want to find more of the music you love or effortlessly discover new favorites — it’s all here! YouTube today announced the launch of its new music streaming app — YouTube Music, in India.
YouTube Music is a reimagined, made-for-music app and web player with official songs, albums, thousands of playlists and artist radio plus YouTube’s tremendous catalog of remixes, live performances, covers and music videos that you can’t find anywhere else – all sim ply organized and personalized. For the first time, all the ways music moves you can be found in one place.
While all this is available for free in the ad-supported version of YouTube Music, the company has also announced YouTube Music Premium, a paid membership that allows users to play songs and videos in the background, while they toggle between apps, write a text message or lock their phone during a run. YouTube Music Premium also offers offline downloads and a completely ad-free ex perience — all starting at just ₹99 a month*.
YouTube is at the heart of India’s music culture — from classics like Tujhe Dekha Toh, to global sensations like Kolaveri Di, to recent rap song Apna Time ayega, and landmark videos like “Despacito”, “Lahore”, “Rangamma Mangamma”, more than 1 billion music fans come to YouTube each month to listen to hot favourites, and discover new music. It’s also where over 2 million artists come to share their voices and art with the world.
Announcing the launch of YouTube Music in India, Lyor Cohen, Global Head of Music, YouTube said,“India is where the multi-lingual music sc ene thrives. It’s interesting to note how Indian artists have consistently claimed top spots over the last few months in the Global YouTube Top Artists chart. With YouTube Music, we are hoping to bring the best in global and Indian music to millions of fans across India, and give them an immersive music experience, with the magic of music on YouTube.”
T.Jay Fowler, Director of Product Management, Music Products, YouTube said, “We know that India loves watching music videos on Yo uTube — be it the vibrancy, choreography, stars and glamour. Music from India has always been so much more than just the audio. Therefore for us, with the launch of YouTube Music, all the emphasis is on the familiar and to make every user experience richer as they start using the se rvice. From recommended music videos, live performances, covers, to new videos — it’s all here, and only here”
Here are six reasons that makes YouTube Music stand out:
- It’s ALL here! Not just music videos, but official songs, albums, singles, remixes, live performances, covers and hard-to-find music that one can find only on YouTube.
- Recommendations built for you. A home screen that dynamically adapts to provide recommendations based on the music played before and what the listener is doing. So if you are in the gym workin’ out or escaping during your daily commute, the right music is right there on the YouTube Music app.
- Thousands of playlists across any genre, mood, activity, or language. Try “Bollywood Hotlist”, “Featuring Drake”, “Upbeat Hindi Retro”, “Cosmic Indie Pop”, “Kollywood Hotlist” or “Tollywood Hotlist” to discover new music.
- Smart search so we’ll find the song, even if you can’t remember what it’s called. “That rap song with flute”? We got you. You can also search by lyrics (even if they’re wrong). It’s “Starbucks lovers,” right?
- The hottest videos. YouTube Music will keep you updated on what’s hot! The hottest videos in the world are right there, on their dedicated Hotlist screen. Today in India, it features Luka Chuppi, Petta – Marana Mass Official Video, Thassadiyya Full Video Song.
- Download your favorite tracks. For paid members your Offline Mixtape automatically downloads up to 100 songs you love on your mobile device, in case you forgot to do it yourself. And yes, paid members can also download songs, videos, albums or playlists too. Visit the Library tab to find it easily, along with your other downloaded albums, songs, and playlists. Adjust number of songs to download and more in your download settings.
Subscribers of Google Play Music will get YouTube Music Premium membership as part of their subscription each month. And for th em nothing will change — they will still be able to access all of their purchased music, uploads and playlists in Google Play Music just like always.YouTube Music: A new music streaming app, made by YouTube. Where the music never stops. Download the app on the Google Play Store and iOS App Store now, and get a special introductory offer of 3 months free for YouTube Music Premium. Additi on ally, YouTube is also bringing YouTube Premium to India. YouTube Premium will be available for ₹129 a month, will include mem bership to YouTube Music Premium, and offer an ad-free experience with background play and offline downloads for millions of videos on YouTube, as well as access to all YouTube Originals, including Cobra Kai, BTS: Burn The Stage.
Samsung Galaxy S10 customers have a reason to celebrate too! Samsung Galaxy S10 users can enjoy 4 months of free, uninterrupted, ad-free access to YouTube Premium, which includes access to YouTubeMusic Premium*. With this new offer, users can bring the best of YouTube Premium and Galaxy S10 together for an incredible viewing and listening experience.
To learn more, visit https://www.youtube.com/musicpremium.
Note: *Standard eligibility applies: Offer only available to customers who are not current YouTube Premium, YouTube Music Premium or Google Play Music subscribers, have not been YouTube Premium, YouTube Music Premium, YouTube Red, or Google Play Music subscribers, nor part icipated in a YouTube Premium, YouTube Music Premium, Google Play Music, or YouTube Red trial before. At the end of the trial period, users will be automatically charged the standard subscription price unless cancelled before the end of the trial. Offer must be redeemed by March 31, 2020.
###About YouTube Music
YouTube Music is a new music app made for music listening, on top of the magic of YouTube: making the world of music easier to ex plore and more personalized than ever. Whether you want to listen, watch or discover – all the ways music moves you can be found in one place – not just music videos, but official albums, singles, remixes, live performances, covers and hard-to-find music you can only get on YouTube.